The winter is getting to us! With polar vortex after polar vortex, we wonder if we’ll ever be able to get out of the house.
Our 3 year old can easily get a little stir crazy and these long winter months can be really tough some days. It’s hard trying to mix things up for your kids when you are stuck inside all day.
But this morning we decided to try making some DIY essential oil playdough. I love the idea of infusing activities and toys with the benefits of essential oils. I wanted to give my son a chance to really interact with oils up close and personal (and in a very safe way).
I added some Lavender and Bergamot to help ease some of the “anxious, get me out of this house and onto a beach” feelings 😉 Luca loved it and it was the perfect late morning pick me up for both of us.
Homemade playdough is super simple to make, using things you likely already have in your cupboard somewhere.
Benefits of Aromatherapy Playdough
Playdough is something you mold, break and sculpt.
In other words, you are getting it all over your hands and wrists, and releasing the aroma with every movement. When playdough contains essential oils, it adds even more purpose to their play.
It’s an amazingly simple way of getting your kids (or yourself) breathing in the aroma of beneficial oils. Playtime just got a little bit healthier.
Depending on what types of oils you add to your playdough, your kids can experience different, intentional benefits.
If you want them to unwind and start relaxing before taking a nap or going to bed, let them play with Lavender or Peace & Calming playdough.
Or if you want them to be able to focus on homework, have them play with Peppermint playdough to encourage a greater sense of focus and concentration.
You can make different batches of playdough for use at different times of the day. It’s just a little more fun than chasing them down and trying to rub that roller on the bottom of their feet.
Homemade Essential Oil Playdough Recipe
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 tablespoons cooking oil
- Food coloring if you wish! (we skipped this, but you can try this natural, vegan, plant based food coloring)
- 6-8 drops Essential Oil – Today we used Lavender and Bergamot, but feel free to add according to your day/ emotions/ etc!
- In a sauce pan stir flour, salt, and cream of tartar together
- Add in the water and cooking oil and mix until smooth
- Turn heat to medium low and stir until mixture forms a ball
- After it reaches playdough consistency remove from heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Knead in Essential Oil of your choosing.
- Have fun!
Some oils that work great for making DIY essential oil playdough include:
- Lavender – Relax and get ready for bed or nap time.
- StressAway – Perfect for relaxing play to unwind after a long day.
- Peace & Calming – relaxing and comforting, great before bed.
- Valor – Helps you feel grounded.
- Thieves – All the wellness support.
- Peppermint – Improve concentration and focus.
These oils, along with a handful of other super popular essential oils, are included in the Premium Starter Kit from Young Living. If you are just beginning your journey with essential oils, you can learn why the Kit is a great place to get started:
And make sure to follow along on Instagram for daily wellness and essential oil tips and inspiration: