Your baby deserves the best. And quite frankly, so do you!
Using essential oils to support the two of you in this incredible (and overwhelming) time as a new mama can be a massive support.
Support you and your baby’s health as well as your mind and emotions using all-natural essential oils.
Here are some of the best ways to use oils with your new baby, and yourself as a new mama!
And if you don’t yet have essential oils, or you need to grow your collection, check out the Young Living Starter Kit for [almost] everything you need to support you and your baby!
1. Better Sleep For Both Baby And Mama
Essential oils are widely known for their ability to support great sleep and to help create a relaxing, restful environment, perfect for winding down before bed.
They are an incredible and natural way to promote a good night’s sleep for both mom and baby.
Lavender is the best-known oil for this. It’s natural components, such as linalyl, may have sedative effects when inhaled.
To use oils to support sleep, you can:
- 30 minutes before bed, diffuse lavender by itself, or in a blend with either frankincense and/or cedarwood to help you and baby wind down mentally and physically.
- In the bedroom as you and baby drift off to sleep, diffuse Peace & Calming (mom or baby) or Sleepyize (specifically for babies and kids) to encourage the best sleep
- You can also apply oils directly to the skin before bed. For babies, rub a drop of Sleepyize directly to the bottoms of the feet (or make a baby bedtime roller with 5 drops lavender in a 10 ml roller bottle. Top with fractionated coconut oil. Rub on bottoms of feet).
- For mama, rub a drop of lavender and frankincense on the bottoms of your feet.
- Sleepy massage – use fractionated coconut oil as a massage oil, and add 2-3 drops of lavender oil to your hands. Massage onto back, neck, and shoulders just before bed.
- Relaxing bath – For mama, 30 minutes before bed, take a warm, aromatic bath. Add a few drops of lavender oil and some Epsom salts to soothe sore muscles and detox the body. Diffuse your oils in the bathroom as well.
2. Sleep – Training Your Brain
One other way to support good sleep for the 2 of you (and anyone else), is by creating a nightly routine that signals to your brain to wind down and prepare for sleep.
Diffuse the same oil or blend of oils at the same time each night, just before bed. When you do this, eventually you train your brain that smelling this particular smell means bedtime. So your brain can subconsciously wind down and get ready for sleep.
This can work for you and your kiddos, and can often stay with them for a long time! The trick is doing it consistently.
Honestly, I would set up a phone reminder to start the diffuser each night. You can also do this on nights that are out of the ordinary, or while traveling. Though you may not have a diffuser handy, you could make an oil roller and apply it to the skin, in order to smell the same aroma.
Or if you are in the car on the way home before bed, you can diffuse it for your baby in the car using a car diffuser.
So if you or any of your kids really struggle with getting to sleep, this may be an approach you should try (if you are able to commit to consistency!)
3. Happy And Healthy Digestion – Tummy Relief
Oils such as these can provide great digestive support!
- Digize – Young Living blend, great for mama. Includes tarragon, ginger, peppermint, juniper, fennel, lemongrass, anise, and patchouli essential oils
- Tummygize – Young Living blend, crafted for babies. Includes spearmint, peppermint, tangerine, fennel, anise, ginger, and cardamom essential oils in a ready-to-use-for-kids state.
Diffuse or gently rub directly on the tummy or bottoms of feet to support good digestion and help ease tummy discomfort.
4. Baby Teething Relief – Your New Best Friend
If your little one isn’t teething yet, lucky you. It’s not a fun time for either of you! But once they start, copaiba essential oil is here to help!
Copaiba oil comes from specific trees in Brazil and has a sweet, earthy, and relaxing aroma. It’s great for diffusing and great for skincare.
But when it comes to teething and hurting, sore gums, copaiba is often used to help provide relief. Some people will apply it directly to the gums, while others will make a roller blend of copaiba with lavender and coconut oil and apply it to the jawline.
Clove may help as well, but might not be as gentle or tasteful as copaiba!
5. Immune Support For Yourself And The Little Ones
Our favorite way to do this is with Thieves essential oil blend. This powerhouse of a blend from Young Living comes with your Starter Kit and will likely be your most-used oil.
To use it for immune support, diffuse it throughout the day at home. You can also diffuse it in the car, especially going to and from places with lots of germs, like preschool!
To use Thieves topically, you’ll want to make a roller.
- Add 20-40 drops of Thieves (personal preference) to a 10 ml roller bottle.
- Top with a carrier oil of choice, such as fractionated coconut oil.
For babies under 1:
- Add 3 drops Gentle Baby + 3 drops Frankincense to a roller bottle.
- Top with a carrier oil of choice, such as fractionated coconut oil.
Roll on the bottoms of feet daily (or twice daily, in the morning and the evening).
6. Use Essential Oils And Wool Dryer Balls In The Laundry For Skin Relief
The laundry room is typically a place with lots of chemicals. Traditional laundry detergent, fabric softener, and dryer sheets are usually quite toxic and fill the air with these toxins as well as covers your clothes with it.
For babies, skin can be a lot more sensitive. One of the easiest ways to cherish your baby’s skin is by drying their clothes, blankets, and sheets using wool dryer balls in the dryer instead of using dryer sheets or fabric softener.
The wool dryer balls bounce around and “fluff” clothing to naturally soften laundry. Plus, you can add essential oils to the dryer balls to add a natural scent to your laundry. For babies, use a soothing, gentle oil such as lavender.
This will be much easier on their skin and fill your home with much less toxic air.
You can also find an all-natural laundry detergent that is free from synthetic fragrances. We love and use Thieves Laundry Detergent from Young Living. It’s ultra-concentrated, so it lasts a long time! We are loving our totally chemical-free laundry room!
7. Use All-Natural, Essential Oil Based Dish Soap To Wash Baby Bottles
Thieves dish soap smells amazing and cleans as well as any other dish soap and we highly recommend it for those with new babies or small children.
You can also make a DIY natural dish soap using the following household ingredients:
- Castille soap
- Vegetable glycerin
- Washing soda
- Essential oils (use your favorite scents. Lemon, orange, tea tree, lavender, etc)
8. Keeping Baby Linens Fresh With A Linen Spray
For baby linens, add the following to a small, 2 oz spray bottle:
- 3 drops lavender
- 3 drops cedarwood
- 3 drops Gentle Baby
Top with distilled water and a splash of witch hazel, shake, and spray! Bedding, cushions and even stuffed animals would all benefit from this.
You could also grab a bottle of Linen Spray from the Seedlings line from Young Living. It uses a handful of oil amazingly relaxing oils such as bergamot, ylang-ylang, geranium and more.
9. Creating A Tranquil Atmosphere Using Gentle Baby
Gentle Baby, the essential oil blend mentioned previously, is seriously an incredible blend of oils for moms and babies.
Diffuse this oil in the morning or evening, or around nap time for a relaxing, reflective, and nurturing environment. It’s simply calming and makes for sweet moments of connection.
You’ll experience as much of the benefits from this oil as your baby will!
10. All-Natural, Essential Oil Based Baby Products – Young Living Seedlings
Young Living has an entire baby line of products that are all-natural – free from toxins, synthetic fragrances, dyes, and all the other bad stuff.
Seedlings include lotion, wipes, baby wash and shampoo, baby oil, diaper cream and more for a happy, healthy, toxin-free baby!
These products are incredible and are highly recommended for new parents who are looking for healthier ways to care for their little ones.
Keep reading to learn how to become a member and get access to the best pricing on oils and Seedlings products.
Bonus – Stress Away For Mama
One last thing that will definitely help in this season of parenthood is the Stress Away essential oil blend! With an oil combination of lime, copaiba and vanilla extract (among others), this unique blend will quickly become a favorite.
Stress Away comes with the Young Living Starter Kit, and seriously does what it says – pushes stress away. Some call it vacation in a bottle.
This is a great oil for mom as she experiences feelings of overwhelm, fatigue, and even sadness after birth.
Diffuse it, rub it on your skin, use it in the car, even make a perfume out of it. You’ll be glad to have this aroma following you around everywhere.
There are so many more ways to use essential oils for mom’s babies, and kids and adults of all ages. We have an incredibly informative, supportive and resourceful community of people on Facebook. If you get a Young Living Starter Kit, I’ll invite directly to that helpful group!
Getting Started With Essential Oils
If you don’t have essential oils, I’d highly recommend becoming a member of Young Living.
They have an incredible selection of essential oils, well-crafted blends for every purpose, and so many different product lines filled with all-natural, essential oil-based products that can help you live a healthier, toxin-free life.
Plus, membership is free and there are no minimum purchase requirements
Becoming a member allows you to get the best pricing on all their products forever. On top of that, they have an incredible [optional] loyalty program that awards you with free oils every 3 months (during your first year) AND points back on every purchase, to redeem for free products of your choosing.
To get started with oils and become a member, all you need to do is order a Starter Kit.
When you order your Starter Kit, you’ll get a FREE $25 gift card from me, as well as an invitation to our incredible Facebook community.
To learn all about the Starter Kit, how to order, and how to get your free gift, check out this post!